One common sign and symptom of menopause is vaginal dryness. Although this condition can affect a woman at any point in her life, the hormonal imbalances that accompany menopause mean that it is most common during this transition. There are various home remedies to cope with this symptom, one of them being the use of coconut oil as a lube.
What Is Vaginal Dryness?
Vaginal dryness results from insufficient lubrication in the cervix, which leads to inflammation and thinning of the vaginal walls. It can be identified by a stinging, itching, or burning sensation in the vagina, and even by pain or light bleeding during sex. Vaginal dryness is usually caused by low estrogen levels, which is why it affects those going through menopause and postmenopause.
Pros and Cons of Coconut Oil
Coconuts are tropical fruits that originated in countries on the Indian Ocean and in northwestern South America, and are now sold globally. Coconut oil, which is extracted from the fruit, has a number of benefits, from the economical to the personal.
For those looking for alternative remedies or natural lubricants, coconut oil has several advantages:
- As a lubricant to treat vaginal dryness, it moisturizes and soothes the vaginal area.
- It's cheap, making it a cost-effective alternative.
- It's antibacterial and antifungal, so it can be lubricating and prevent yeast infections at the same time.
- It is easy to find in most grocery stores.
- It has a distinctive scent, which some may find off-putting.
- It's not liquid at room temperature; however, it can be warmed up in your hands in less than a minute.
Tips to Deal with Vaginal Dryness
Certain factors can trigger dryness or make it worse. Try avoiding the following:
- Underwear made of synthetic materials, which may irritate the area.
- Scented or harsh soaps and cleansers, such as douches
Vaginal dryness is often linked to lower levels of estrogen, but it can occasionally be caused by a lack of sufficient stimulation, and as a result, using a lubricant can help avoid discomfort during intercourse. In addition, there are other methods to help with intimacy for those who are suffering from vaginal dryness or who are unsure of their need for lube, including:
- Pelvic exercises - such as Kegel - can strengthen and relax vaginal muscles.
- Take more time for foreplay to increase levels of natural lubrication.
- Induce relaxation through massage, which is an effective way to avoid painful penetration.
Medical and Alternative Treatments for Vaginal Dryness
As you can see, coconut oil has many uses and is just one of many options that could help with vaginal dryness, as well as natural supplements and medications. Click on the following link for more information about treatments for vaginal dryness.