Affecting nearly all women at some stage in their life, vaginal dryness is generally associated with menopause and the hormonal imbalance and fluctuations that often takes place during this transition. It can be a problem for women of any age and tends to be accompanied by a burning or itching sensation, and can lead to painful intercourse and increased urinary frequency.
Nearly 80% of women suffer from vaginal dryness, its causes are wide and varied and it can be triggered by a multitude of things. Treating the problem can be simple once the symptoms are recognized. Lifestyle changes combined with herbal supplements and remedies are often the best way to cure vaginal dryness. Read on to discover more.
Causes and Symptoms of Vaginal Dryness
A drop in estrogen levels or a deficiency in this hormone is the main reason for vaginal dryness and the reason the problem occurs during menopause. With the right amount of estrogen, vaginal walls are moist, elasticated, flexible, strong and protected but when this balance is altered the walls thin and moisture is lost, resulting in vaginal dryness. Menopause results in a decrease in estrogen levels. However, there are other reasons that this hormonal imbalance may occur, which include:
• Immune disorders
• Radiation or therapy
• Surgical removal of ovaries
These are the main causes, though in addition, medicines for colds and allergies can reduce levels of moisture and trigger vaginal dryness. Emotional problems or medical conditions can also lead to vaginal dryness, but fortunately this problem can be dealt with and relieved. Read on to discover more about herbal remedies for vaginal dryness.
Herbal Remedies and Supplements for Vaginal Dryness
Vaginal dryness means that the vagina and its walls have an inadequate supply of lubrication due to infection or an imbalance in the levels of progesterone and estrogen. This makes the area uncomfortable and painful but alongside moisturizers and lubricants there are herbal remedies that can be used to effectively treat the condition. Herbal remedies include:
• Black cohosh. A perennial plant for the USA, it was used by Native Americans to combat women problems and is used to lighten menopausal symptoms like vaginal dryness. This is a phytoestrogen herb like dong quai which have a similar effect.
• Soy isoflavones. Generally, cultures that incorporate a lot of soy into their diet suffer less from menopause symptoms so using tofu, soybeans, soy milk and edamame as part of a healthy diet is beneficial in alleviating vaginal dryness.
• Non-estrogenic herbs. An alternative to phytoestrogen herbs, these don't contain any estrogen but instead nourish hormonal glands to produce more natural estrogen to keep your body healthy. An example of this is Macafem.
• Others. Parsley, vitamin C, anise and fennel alongside oils such as tea tree and lavender extract are known to ease the pain and discomfort of vaginal dryness and increase general health in that region.
Click the following link to learn more about available remedies for vaginal dryness.
Other Related Articles:
How to use coconut oil to cure vaginal dryness
Vaginal dryness: How to choose between cream, lubrication and suppositories
How to deal with your wife's vaginal dryness
Four meal ideas to combat your menopausal vaginal dryness
How to relieve vaginal irritation during menopause